Thursday, July 28, 2011

Repurposing- A Store bought Women's Shirt into a custom Girl's Dress

When I purchase something...I almost always alter it.  


I buy a frame, I repaint it.  I buy jewelry, I add to it.  I buy a toss pillow, and I add trimming to it.  Not much in my home has passed through my hands without being altered.


With that in mind, I began looking for Vintage style dresses for my girls.


To make a long story short, I was having a photo session of them shot for my Husband for our 12 year Wedding Anniversary.  The photo was being done by Enchanted Images (which will receive it's own post as a featured artist on a later date)  and the idea was to have it be very Vintage looking.  I got their hair cut, I made Vintage looking headbands...but had no luck with finding the dresses.  On one particular shopping hunt at TJ Maxx, I happened on a Women's clothing round rack of all lace tunics and knew I had something to work with.  Some of the long ones even looked like they could be girls dresses....um, sort of.  Maybe if I squinted and turned my head at just the right angle...


I digress.

Knowing I possessed basic garment constructing skills, I decided to try my hand at repurposing these pieces.  Here they are before alteration...






I pat myself on the back here :)  This is a brilliant idea...because fabric and trimmings can be so very expensive...and for two shirts at $20.00 each, and some store bought trimmings and ribbon, I was able to create some "one of a kind" dresses that looked beautiful and suited the picture to a "T".  I had to make some basic liners because the dresses were very transparent.  Arm holes had to be re cut, side seams re-sewn, panels added for length...but all in all...not too difficult, and I got the result I desired.
So next time you are looking for a sewing project, if you have basic garment constructing skills....and a little model to fit on...try repurposing women's clothing!


Here they are in a beautiful Enchanted Images portrait after!!  My girls are pretty cute too I would say:)





Thank you Enchanted Images for the use of your beautiful photos!

1 comment:

  1. I think I may have seen one of these shirts at a TJMaxx or somewhere! You have done a FABULOUS job on these! You should be so proud of yourself. You would pay a fortune at a boutique for some dresses like these. And the pictures are just priceless. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete