Saturday, June 25, 2011

Why "Wrapped In Clover"?




Why did you name your shop "Wrapped In Clover?  I get asked this a lot.  The simple response is that it is an edited phrase from the song my Husband and I danced to at our wedding.  "At Last" by Etta James...it is possibly the most perfect love song ever written.  There are other reasons too.  When I was a Dance Performance major at OCU, there was a beautiful love duet danced to this song in our Spring show.  It was a breathtaking piece with beautiful strong lighting, light flowy costumes, and amazing lifts.  I was in the dance immediately following this number, so I stood in the wings every night and loved watching the magic unfold.  It has always stuck with me.  


At last, my love has come along
My lonely days are over

And life is like a song
Oh, yeah, at last
The skies above are blue
My heart was Wrapped up In Clover
The night I looked at you
I found a dream that I could speak to
A dream that I can call my own
I found a thrill to rest my cheek to
A thrill that I have never known
Oh, yeah when you smile, you smile
Oh, and then the spell was cast
And here we are in heaven
For you are mine
At last



Clearly it is a love song, but the specific phrase to be "Wrapped up in Clover" means so much more.  When I set out to name my shop, I could have easily come up with something pointing to jewelry, or painting, or flowers...but to be "Wrapped In Clover" has been described as being extremely happy or in an ideal situation. I suspect that if one's heart (as the seat of one's emotions, figuratively speaking) were wrapped in clover, then one would also be ecstatically joyful.  I think it means a heart had good luck, as in four-leaf clover.


I am a jewelry maker, painter, and sewer...but I also make purses, hats, flowers, floral arrangements, and an occasional wood carving and bronze sculpture.  Who wants to be cornered into a specific genre?  Not me.  

So I named my shop Wrapped In Clover...this allows me to make anything that makes me extremely happy...and hopeful it will make you happy too.


5 comments:

  1. it took me ten yeras to get the meaning of this phrase i could barely guess the idea, thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully explained and wonderful items you make! We share the same favourite love song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard this of this phrase for the first time over the radio, PowerFm 98.7, by Iman Rappetti one of the aspiring South African broadcasters. Before, I didn't know much about "Clover" except for the fact that there is a brand of fresh milk called "Cover'. Hearing it over the radio - while driving - I memorized it as wrote is down while waiting for a green robot. Yes, I did guess that I had something to do with love and feeling good but I wanted indepth understanding of it. Thank you so much for the explaining. I am now 1 expression richer. That's a milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful song.Great to dance with it in your wedding. A lovely memory, and the phrase is clear to me now. I´m Latin woman.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete