Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Crafting tip: Try a Little Fire

So, self admittedly... I am a bit of a pyromaniac.  But here is a crafting tip that might add a little interest to your projects.

First: the disclaimer, please whenever you set fire to ANYTHING, make sure you are in a well ventilated area, and that you have water or a fire extinguisher nearby.  Please wear the right type of clothing, and make sure that what you will be setting fire to isn't combustable.  I don't want to be personally responsible for someone accidentally burning down their home.  

I love fire...I love what it does to things.  The amount of lighters I go through in a month is embarrassing.  I used to hold fire in my hand every night for a pyrotechnic display when I was on tour with Beauty and the Beast.  Lighting a fireball in your hand is a real thrill!  But now that I am always looking for new ways to add dimension to a craft, I turn to my old friend.
Fire will seal the edge on a fraying ribbon (making sure it is a synthetic material).  Natural products will only burn.  Fire will pucker and do wonderful things to a raw edge of a synthetic fabric.  On a photograph, fire will bring out all sorts of strange colors, as well as adding lovely cracks to the edge too....I love this sort of thing.

So please...do it carefully, but next time you're looking for a new way to finish something, try a little fire!
Burn baby burn!

No comments:

Post a Comment